[PLUG] Question for the sysops -- IoT devices and email

Rigel Hope gnu at rigelhope.org
Mon Mar 5 00:34:26 UTC 2018

Lots of factors to weigh here, and not a ton of detail.

In the abstract (and I'm sure loads of other PLUG folks have more
experience running email servers than i do), contracting with an existing
provider of bulk email (e.g. mailchimp) so that they can provide features
like rate limiting, authentication, and reputation management, is probably
the most straightforward way. gonna cost money.
another option would be to run your own outgoing service, with basically
the same feature set. gonna also cost money and will also require expertise
to navigate/configure the modern email acronyms (DKIM, DMARC, SPF).
>From where I sit, I don't see a reasonable way to use existing network
architecture for sending email unless you already have a very good idea of
the network configuration where it's going to be deployed.

I also wonder whether NFC would be useful for you here? seems like it might
be, but again, lacking details.