[PLUG] Configuring a router: finding the missing step

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Mar 5 00:46:11 UTC 2018

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018, Ken Stephens wrote:

> When I did this stuff, I often forgot to do both ends of the line. If you
> changed your network IP on the router and have a fixed IP on the device,
> you need to change the IP on the device, too.

Ken,

   Did so.

   I had no problems connecting to the router (192.168.1.1) from the laptop
(192.168.1.3), upgrading the OS, and restoring the boot configuration. It
apparently did not cleanly reboot.

   When I changed the laptop's IP address to 192.168.55.3 and rebooted I had
no route to the router when the eth0 cat5 was connected to it. When
connected to the LAN (and rebooted) all routes and the gateway were present
and accounted for.

   I think the parsimonious thing to do is reset the router to default
settings and start over again because I've no idea of the current router
state (or subnet).

Thanks,