[PLUG] System issue: application build fails to find installed library

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Mar 18 17:41:06 UTC 2018

   Trying to rebuild/re-install wxGTK+3 here fails because a suitable library
version is not found by the configuration process. Yet, such libraries are
present. My experiences in debugging application code doesn't help me here
and I hope someone can teach me how to identify the source of this problem.

    Installed here are these libraries:

gtk+-1.2.10-i486-5
gtk+2-2.24.31-i586-1_slack14.2
gtk+3-3.18.9-i586-1

from

wxGTK-2.8.12-i486-3_SBo
wxGTK3-3.0.4-i586-1_SBo

and 'wx-config --list' produces these results:
---
Default config is gtk2-unicode-3.0
Default config will be used for output
Also available in /usr:
     gtk2-unicode-release-2.8
---

   For reasons I don't understand, building wxGTK3 requires the presence of
wxGTK2.

   This is where the build script fails:

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.6.0... no
*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occurred. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly installed.
configure: error:
The development files for GTK+ were not found. For GTK+ 2, please
ensure that pkg-config is in the path and that gtk+-2.0.pc is
installed. For GTK+ 1.2 please check that gtk-config is in the path,
and that the version is 1.2.3 or above. Also check that the
libraries returned by 'pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --libs' or 'gtk-config
--libs' are in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH or equivalent.

    The first line has configure looking for GTK+ > 2.6.0 and 2.24.31 is
installed so I don't understand why it's not found. I want to learn how to
fix these issues when they pop up. No 'config.log' can be found.

   More information? Ask and ye shall be answered.

TIA,