[PLUG] System issue: application build fails to find installed library

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 19:59:23 UTC 2018

On 03/18/2018 10:59 AM, Ken Stephens wrote:
> Rich,
>
> I find the if an install does not say a particular library is installrf,
> but find that it is installed in my package manager, I have to install the
> development library.  The development library (in Fedora, it usually is the
> library-devel package) contains the include files for which the particular
> build script is looking.
>
> HTH
> Ken
>
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 10:41 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
> wrote:
>
>>   Trying to rebuild/re-install wxGTK+3 here fails because a suitable
>> library
>> version is not found by the configuration process. Yet, such libraries are
>> present. My experiences in debugging application code doesn't help me here
>> and I hope someone can teach me how to identify the source of this problem.
>>
>>    Installed here are these libraries:
>>
>> gtk+-1.2.10-i486-5
>> gtk+2-2.24.31-i586-1_slack14.2
>> gtk+3-3.18.9-i586-1
>>
>> from
>>
>> wxGTK-2.8.12-i486-3_SBo
>> wxGTK3-3.0.4-i586-1_SBo
>>
>> and 'wx-config --list' produces these results:
>> ---
>> Default config is gtk2-unicode-3.0
>> Default config will be used for output
>> Also available in /usr:
>>     gtk2-unicode-release-2.8
>> ---
>>
>>   For reasons I don't understand, building wxGTK3 requires the presence of
>> wxGTK2.
>>
>>   This is where the build script fails:
>>
>> checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.6.0... no
>> *** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
>> *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
>> for the
>> *** exact error that occurred. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly
>> installed.
>> configure: error: The development files for GTK+ were not found. For GTK+
>> 2, please
>> ensure that pkg-config is in the path and that gtk+-2.0.pc is
>> installed. For GTK+ 1.2 please check that gtk-config is in the path,
>> and that the version is 1.2.3 or above. Also check that the
>> libraries returned by 'pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --libs' or 'gtk-config
>> --libs' are in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH or equivalent.
>>
>>    The first line has configure looking for GTK+ > 2.6.0 and 2.24.31 is
>> installed so I don't understand why it's not found. I want to learn how to
>> fix these issues when they pop up. No 'config.log' can be found.
>>
>>   More information? Ask and ye shall be answered.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Rich

Ken,
All packages on Slackware are "dev" packages.

Rich,
I assume you are using the Slackbuild.org wxGTK3 build script?  If so,
might be better to post a query on the SBo mail list.  I'm still using
wxGTK3 3.0.3.1. I'll check on the new version later as I may then have
to rebuild several other packages that take a long time to compile.

The wx-config symlinks can get confused with the varieties of wxwidgets.
From the SBo README:

wxGTK3 can be installed alongside with wxGTK/wxPython, but it will
overwrite wx-config created by wxGTK/wxPython.
If you need to build packages using wxGTK/wxPython, simply
reinstall wxGTK/wxPython package and wx-config will point to correct
version.
The same solution can be used if wxGTK3's wx-config is overwritten.

Although 'wx-config --list' appears correct, the symlink my not be. If
you had wxGTK and wxGTK3 installed from SBO, I would remove both, and
reinstall Slackware's GTK+ versions:

upgradepkg --reinstall gtk+2-2.24.31-x86_64-1_slack14.2
gtk+3-3.18.9-x86_64-1

and then build wxGTK3.

Also, you can't build and install BOTH wxPython(3) AND wxGTK(3) since
wxPython contains a copy of wxGTK.

-Ed