[PLUG] Mediasonic failure?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed Mar 21 20:55:04 UTC 2018

I rebooted the laptop and that finally got the laptop to see and mount
the Mediasonic, although it is not working completely right. But before
tackling that, once it was mounted I ran my rsync command to back it up
to the Synology. That finished OK, so everything is safe, but, again,
something is wrong.

What is wrong? Access time. During the backup I watched in the terminal
and after finishing a file rsync would take five or ten seconds before
it would start the next file, and sometimes in the middle of a file it
would pause before continuing. (Rsync displays its progress verbosely.)
At one point it paused so long that I physically jiggled the USB
connector and then it immediately started again.

The laptop has three regular USB 3.0 jacks and a fourth that is
also something else (can't remember, e-sata?). Three are on the right
side and they are constantly being used, things plugged in and then
removed. One is in the back and it has a ΗοοΤοο (sic) USB 3.0 extension
with three jacks and an ethernet jack on the end. The Mediasonic has
always been plugged into the HooToo, and the HooToo is plugged in and
unplugged only once a month when I take the laptop to the Clinic. My
point is that if USB jacks are failing, the one in back with the HooToo
has had the least wear and tear. More to the point, previously I tried
all jacks and got the same failure. It is unlikely in the extreme that
all four jacks are suddenly failing at the same time.

wes <plug at the-wes.com> dijo: