[PLUG] Command to find applications dependent on named library

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 15:01:29 UTC 2018

This is not an ubuntu specific group, yet there are ubuntu specific
questions all the time. Here is a distro agnostic answer:

Here follows a list of distros and their dependency search capabilties. I'm
just going to list the commands/applications used, refer to the manual for
the specifc options that provide the desired feature because I really am
not interested in most of these operation systems. I just happen to know
where I would start looking IF I used them.

Debian:
- dpkg and apt-*. Probably apt-cache is the apt command you would end up
using.

Ubuntu:
 -inherited from debian, dpkg and/or apt-*

Arch:
- pacman

Gentoo:
- emerge

Fedora:
- yum
- dnf (replaces yum in recent versions)

Red Hat:
- rpm

(open)SUSE:
- rpm
- YaST
- Zypper
- apparently SUSE has a variety of options, I'm not exactly sure which they
prefer for tracking down dependencies, but the rpm command should do the
job.

Slackware:
- Responsibility of the user
- by default nothing in slackware has the capability to record dependencies.
- You would keep track of this manually, or install an extra tool.
- rpm is installed by default, however since no packages were installed via
rpm it has no knowledge of what is installed

This list should serve as a decent starting place for tracking down a given
dependency on any distro.
-Ben