[PLUG] Command to find applications dependent on named library

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Thu Mar 22 16:21:35 UTC 2018

On 03/22/2018 08:23 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2018, Ben Koenig wrote:
>
>> Slackware:
>> - Responsibility of the user
>> - by default nothing in slackware has the capability to record
>> dependencies.
>> - You would keep track of this manually, or install an extra tool.
>> - rpm is installed by default, however since no packages were
>> installed via
>> rpm it has no knowledge of what is installed
>
> Ben,
>
>    I thought there might be a generic linux tool equivalent to ldd. My
> specific interest is with SlackBuilds.org packages and I suspect there's a
> way of searching the repo for this information in each package's info file.
> It's likely that one of the package maintainers will suggest a search
> protocol.

You could brute force it using something like this:

find /usr/bin -type f -executable -print0 | xargs -0 -t ldd | grep
mylibtofind > results.txt 2>&1

The -t on the xargs command will cause it to output each ldd command to
stderr.  You would then need to scan the results.txt file to find those
commands that resulted in output from grep.  There's probably a better
way to do this, but I think this should work.  It's untested, of course.

galen
--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com