[PLUG] [OT? ?? ??? ;] Using USENET for tech info

Tyrell Jentink tyrell at jentink.net
Sat Mar 31 23:19:07 UTC 2018

USENET isn't a "place," at least not in the sense that Google and Facebook
are places. USENET, rather, is a collection of protocols for sharing news
to groups of people. As such, it doesn't have ANY kind of archives on its
own.

Let me say that differently: Where Facebook and Google operate servers that
you post messages to, and other people go to the same place to retrieve
those messages;
USENET is a network, where you post a message to your USENET provider, that
provider shares it with other providers, who eventually deliver it to their
users.

It's very much like email: I send this email via GMail, but you are
obviously not using Google, so Google will deliver it from me to your
provider, who will deliver it to you.

TECHNICALLY, lists.debian.org just sends emails... By itself, it also
stores nothing... Email is just a network. BUT, the nice folks at
lists.debian.org maintain an archive that one can search.

Similarly, most USENET providers also provide archives... But you would
search YOUR provider's archives through their official channels.

So... To more directly answer your question... This is PROBABLY a question
for your USENET provider...