[PLUG] Looking for a new ubuntu laptop to connect to 2 external monitors

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Wed May 2 21:31:29 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 12:19 PM c <cbpurcell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm starting to research laptop options for my new work machine. I like to
> run ubuntu and I really want to get a laptop that I can connect to my 2
> desktop monitors for most of my use. (yes I basically want something that
> functions like a docked machine/desktop, except for the ability to take it
> to meetups, travelling, etc.)

For this kind of use case, I would suggest look into a laptop that can use
a dock.
You mention Dell Precision, that is one way to go.

I would also suggest looking into Dell Latitude, if you are not opposed to
used models.
The current Latitudes no longer have the Dell e-port that supports the
hardware dock (that connects directly to the motherboard PCI bus, not USB).
The last e-port capable Latitudes I think are 7470 or somewhere around
there.
Our current issue laptops at $work are 7480s and have USB-C for docking, no
more e-port dock.

But if you go with say a 7470, or 7450, and an e-dock, you can connect dual
monitors with DisplayPort or DVI, and its connected directly to PCI bus and
not USB.

I have a 7450 here with dock and monitors, I can throw a live Fedora or
Mint USB stick on it and test if you would like the results.

> I think that as long as I get something with a discrete video card, I
> should be fine with connecting 2 external monitors with one rotated 90
> degrees. I tried with a laptop with onboard graphics and rotated monitors
> would never work. From some research it looks like. Other people have had
> luck with multiple external monitors and rotation on linux as long as they
> were using nvidia cards.
>
> Anyone on the LUG running a Dell precision laptop with multiple external
> monitors? Just curious if anyone had found they had an easy or a miserable
> time with them.
>
> Thanks,
> Purcell

Matt M.