[PLUG] The end of Mint KDE edition

elcaseti elcaseti at gmail.com
Thu May 10 20:33:05 UTC 2018

Mint is discontinuing their KDE Plasma release.  It's not that they will
still use KDE apps without Plasma.  They no longer produce a distro that
includes any aspect of the KDE software project.    Here is Mint's blog
post announcing that they will stop producing a KDE Mint distro:  "
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3418".

In order to replace Mint KDE, I'm testing various disros that include KDE
plasma 5, or Plasma 4, or Trinity Desktop Environment.  TDE is the fork of
KDE3, much like Mate is the fork of Gnome2.

As far as I can tell, so far, there is no project to fork KDE Plasma 4.  I
hope to be proven wrong, as KDE4 is quite nice to use. Forking a desktop
environment & supporting it for years is a huge undertaking, requiring a
lot of volunteers and/or paid developers.

So far, I've tried Siduction with KDE Plasma 5, & Knoppix with KDE Plasma
5.  In the past, I've tried many different releases of Kubuntu, Manjaro
with KDE Plasma 5, PCLOS with TDE, EXE GNU/Linux with TDE, Debian with KDE
Plasma 4, Sabayon with KDE3 & Plasma 4, and a bunch of others I'm
forgetting at the moment.  None have suited me quite as well as Mint KDE,
but now that it's dead, that changes the senario.