[PLUG] VLC 3.0

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Thu May 10 22:18:17 UTC 2018

Since KDE version 4 they have split the desktop environment into a few
chunks.

They have the KDE SC, Software Compilation which is the applications
that ship with the DE. Basically all the things that windows has by
default - a calculator, basic web browser, Kwrite (instead of notepate)
etc. This 'SC' is cross platform and can even be installed on Windows,
essentially replacing apps like Notepad, IE and even Minesweeper with
the kde versions ;)

In this new design, Plasma is the desktop. On Linux, if you run KDE you
will also be running Plasma. But you could theoretically be using a
different desktop ( or different OS entirely ) and still run the apps
that are part of KDE SC.

So 'KDE' is an umbrella project for both Plasma, and the Software
Compilation.The KDE project has even gone the the next step and built an
official "KDE Distro" called KDE Neon.

So Here is Neon, a version of Ubuntu.... with the Plasma desktop....
running the KDE Software Compilation. Took me a while to wrap my head
around this change.

https://neon.kde.org/