[PLUG] Ubuntu MATE 18.04 frustrations

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Fri May 18 14:14:09 UTC 2018

On 05/17/2018 10:47 PM, Tomas K wrote:
> I'd be rather careful with modifying users on existing system - unless
> you know exactly what you are doing. It can have pretty nasty side
> effects appearing/re-appearing and entertaining you for long time to
> come, at the 'best' possible times.

I had a feeling it wasn't quite as simple as I'd hoped. At this point,
it's almost easier to start over. It wouldn't be the first time I've
installed a new OS more than once. I might even remove the 482 GB drive
entirely (I have a USB box for SATA drives) and skip the part about
figuring out why it takes so long to transfer files from it to the other
drive on the same machine. I also have a noisy fan bearing, so I need to
pull the box out from under the desk, anyway. It's one of those
intermittent issues, so it will take some fussing to figure out which
fan is the culprit.

But, I have learned two major things from the exercise, how to use
rsync, and how someone decided to make what used to be a simple task
more complicated, i.e. letting Caja talk to other machines.

Thanks for all the hand holding along the way. It may be a couple of
weeks before I have time to tackle this again.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens