[PLUG] MS Office files with viruses; curable by Libreoffice translation?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri May 25 04:16:05 UTC 2018

Friday, my sister will bring her old virus-infected Mac
Mini over to translate/transfer files to a newer Mac Mini.

I hope to copy MS Office user files onto a thumb drive,
import the files into LibreOffice on a Linux Mint machine,
and (hopefully) not the viruses.  We will install
LibreOffice (not MS Office) on the newer Mac.  I tried
setting her up with a Linux machine, but she "didn't
like it".  Ah well.

So - is Linux LibreOffice virus-INcompatible with MS
Office for MacOS?  It may be safest to do the conversion
on an isolated machine running a new Linux distro, then
reformat over the Linux disk image afterwards.

Details for Mac users: Her old Mac Mini can't upgrade
beyond Snow Leopard; her newer Mini can run El Capitan,
which is still getting security upgrades.  Eventually,
she may need to get back on the Apple hardware upgrade
treadmill.  I worry that Apple will stop supporting DVI,
and we will need to purchase a new giant-screen monitor
to accommodate her visual impairment.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com