[PLUG] Some how my system boots into text mode

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Wed May 30 20:35:01 UTC 2018

Ken,

First of all, GRUB doesn't have any say in "booting a graphical login
mode". The most grub can do is set the framebuffer and KMS settings, and
even then X can override and set its own display settings.
- Leave GRUB alone. You run the risk of breaking your boot for no reason.

Second. The Multi User run level is where Display Managers are launched. Of
course systemd has no doubt managed to obfuscate that simple fact.
- MultiUser mode is exactly what you want.

Third. You are able to launch X. This means X is working, and you have a
log file located at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
- Of course I'm assuming the fedora team is smart enough to do things
properly.

Last and most importantly..... You have remnants of GDM on your system. GDM
will launch X to present the login screen, which is probably why it has its
own Xorg.0.log file.
GDM is also a daemon process launched by your init system. In this case
systemd.

There are 2 things you need to do.
- You need to make a Display Manager is fully installed (sometimes they get
broken into multiple packages...)
- Make sure your display manager (GDM, KDM, whatever..) has been added as a
step in your init system.

Slackware does this with inittab, runlevel 4 launches a script which
launches KDM or XDM.
Ubuntu had the "sudo service gdm start" command. This launched GDM if it
wasn't running already.
Fedora probably has whatever systemd stupidness the kids are promoting
these days. It reads a service config file and launches the daemon
described in that file. In your case this should be GDM.

Maybe you can just do a complete reinstall of GDM from the repository.
Maybe this will give systemd the kick it needs...