[PLUG] Experiences with USB "null modem" cables.

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Thu May 31 09:17:43 UTC 2018

On 05/30/2018 03:43 PM, Russell Senior wrote:
> The one I have implements a USB-net interface,

I did a DuckDuckGo search for "USB-net interface" {with/without quotes}.
Found several interesting links, but not sure if any are what you are
speaking of. A link to specific device(s) you refer to?

> so it's effectively an ethernet cable.

I purposely used the term "null modem". I date from an  era/industry
where where 20 mA current loop was preferred over RS-232C for its noise
immunity. Since USB 1.0 I've considered "universal" of USB an
unfortunate choice of adjectives. The intrinsic implementation of
hardware to forever be either a *MASTER* or slave is annoying.

>  Most modern distributions just work.  The one you link is
> a USB-to-serial-to USB.  That is not ideal for transferring files.

Depends on your metric.

>If you
> are unclear on what the "link" cable supports, you can always just buy two
> usb-ethernet adapters and an ethernet cable to go in the middle.
That explicitly is to be avoided as an unnecessary complication.

> Maybe more adpatable than a "link cable".

I want a USB cable that is as functional (my metric) as a RS-232 cable
of decades past. The only observable difference would be max available
speed.