[PLUG] SMTP Authority CentOS 7...

michael at robinson-west.com michael at robinson-west.com
Sun Nov 4 19:04:48 UTC 2018

I am noticing that the stock dovecot is old and the stock postfix is old, but postfix isn't so old that there's no postscreen.

I understand that the submission port is supposed to be encrypted and that changes have to be made to postfix/dovecot/and even MUAs to do SMTP Authority.
My target MUA's are evolution and rainloop, an html based mail client.

Running an smtp server that doesn't require you to login is probably a bad idea, but this logging in is extremely difficult to get working.

I think the trouble I'm having is the age of the stock postfix and dovecot. Not wanting to recompile them and lose CentOS's maintenance work, I could use some good tips on how to find documentation specific to the versions I have.

A related question, can I dynamically block Internet IP's that try three times unsuccessfully to send me email because they identify invalidly helo, they fail smtp auth three times, or they try to relay somewhere else through me? If I don't dynamically block, the same offenders it seems will flood my maillog all day long and all night. I'm thinking FAIL2BAN is what I need, but I'm not certain about the SMTP auth related failures.

 -- Michael C. Robinson