[PLUG] Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Root full...

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 08:39:09 UTC 2018

On 11/4/18 8:37 PM, Chuck Hast wrote:
> Well, doing a df I see that / is the 9.1G partition and the other one is
> /home.
>
> Prior to cleaning, the partition was 9.05G full, after doing the cleanup it
> is now down to 8.7G.
> so I have got to see what all is in it. Or I will have to make it bigger. I
> have a boat load of empty
> space on the HD so I can shrink home a bit and give it some more space, but
> if it is just going
> to eat that up with some blackhole files I need to find out what they are
> and see what can be
> trimmed.
> / is /dev/sda1
> /home is /dev/sda5
>
> Here is what df returns
> kp4djt at kp4djt64:~$ df
> Filesystem                        1K-blocks      Used Available Use%
> Mounted on
> udev                               10193624         0  10193624   0% /dev
> tmpfs                               2044984      1468   2043516   1% /run
> /dev/sda1                           9649432   8647828    491716  95% /
>...snip...

Where is '/tmp' and '/var'? On '/' which is '/dev/sda1'? If this is the
case, your root partition is way too small.  You might just have a boat
load of temporary and log files.  Also, package managers take up a bunch
of space so you should check there as well.

Consider also that when a distro claims "Minimum of X GB of Disk Space
to install" that is wishful thinking in the real world. You really need
to set aside at least 2X GB for any additional packages, logs, and temp
files.

-Ed