[PLUG] Display problems after changing adapters

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 03:13:58 UTC 2018

I've spent quite a bit of time setting up Nvidia drivers on various installations, so I thought the use of an AMD card of similar capabilities might make life easier for me. I have a drive tray on a desktop computer (Sabertooth based) and have drives with Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04.
I removed an Nvidia Geforce 970 adapter from the computer and replaced it with an RX480. Prior to removal, I removed the Windows driver in Control Panel and replaced it with the Radeon Adrenalin driver once the hardware changes were made. It works fine.
I was under the impression that Ubuntu's adaptation to the new adapter would be trouble-free, but it isn't. There is a display, but it doesn't recognize the UHD monitor and the only available resolution for it is 1024 x 768. Since the installation still works, I can get all kinds of information about it for diagnostic purposes; for example:

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 768, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected primary 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768      76.00*
  1920x1080_60.00 (0x2b8) 173.000MHz -HSync +VSync
        h: width  1920 start 2048 end 2248 total 2576 skew    0 clock  67.16KHz
        v: height 1080 start 1083 end 1088 total 1120           clock  59.96Hz
I can probably dispense with hardware acceleration, but my minimum objective is getting a resolution of 1920 x 1080 or as close to it as possible. None of the advice I have yet read online has been helpful, but perhaps someone on this list has some insight.

Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/