[PLUG] Wanted: handheld data collection device with Linux OS

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 17:25:17 UTC 2018

I think these requirements are about 20+ years too late.  Even when there
were PDA devices to they didn't have standard USB connections as the
connector was too large.

The retail market is Android or iPhone these days.
To get something close you would probably need to start searching in the
industrial area.  Those devices will be very expensive.

20+ years ago, I set up a data collection system.  It used a handheld
terminal with a hardwired serial connection.
The system was driven from screens via database coding.

Adding custom software to any device should be the norm even for Windows
devices.  You would just need to learn the SDK to write it yourself.

Devices with cell phone communication are required to have an Airplane mode
to turn the radio off.