[PLUG] An apology needed? - was [Re: Wanted: handheld data collection device with Linux OS]

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 21:57:27 UTC 2018

No offense taken.

I have worked as a test engineer in multiple areas and as a software
engineer including doing some embedded development.
I typically get requirements for the task to be accomplished and some idea
of budget.

With that information I craft a design or select hardware for a
hardware/software solution.

>From my projects, I have always needed to have some level of connectivity.

For remote field collection of data,  I would still want external
connectivity such that the data collected wout automatically transfer when
connected to the network.

For long term collection; internet of things or custom solutions use mesh
networks with points of upload via cell networks or satellite.

Data collection is more about the data than how it is collected or on what
OS platform.  The bigger issue would be making sure the  data is
transferable and in a readability format.

The list tries to assist with your request and requirements.  When we
cannot find exactly what is required, we pose possible alternatives.  Not
knowing the underlying requirements sometimes gets you responses that go
far a field.