[PLUG] GUI Rename Oddity

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Nov 15 00:20:38 UTC 2018

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018, Dick Steffens wrote:

> Good point. I have various problems with different parts of Ubuntu MATE
> 18.04, Compiz or Marco, and with Linux Mint 19 MATE. When I get some free
> time I'm going to give Rich's favorite distro, Slackware, and see how it
> does with my occasional odd use cases.

Dick,

   I'm asking you the same question I asked John: have you looked at mc
(midnight commander)? It uses either screen or ncurses so it's a text-based
"GUI" file manager that is quite popular and very robust. If you want to
know about tweaking its configuration I'm sure Ed Koenig will be happy to
educate you. :-)

> Sometimes I think I'm in a situation where some cool new features or bug
> fixes were done to a version that introduced new ones, and I'll just have
> to wait for the next release for them to go away. Sigh.

   I'm not specifically advocating for Slackware but sharing information
relevant to your issue. The core developers stay well back from the bleeding
edges of applications and tools. The supplemental SlackBuilds.org package
maintainers add several hundred (thousands?) of additional packages that are
not in the core distribution. When a SBo package has a bug or build error an
e-mail to the package maintainer almost always gets a helpful response
within a day. Many of them are in Europe, Asia, and Australia so there's
always a time zone difference that makes communications fun.

Best regards,