[PLUG] rsync in a cron job

Smith, Cathy Cathy.Smith at pnnl.gov
Thu Nov 15 18:11:12 UTC 2018

There are a lot of examples available if you google for rsync tutorial or rsync examples.   Search for examples of using rsync for backups.

You may need to specify the source path, /, and the destination path, /.  If you are rsync'ing everything, then /data should be included by default.  That assumes that your destination paths are identical to the source.  You said that the destination is different than the source  so you need to consider the exclude option.  Excludes can be specified individually or in a file.  The syntax is going to vary slightly with the OS and version of rsync.   The trailing "/" is critical in determining where everything ends up.

The general rsync syntax looks like this:
	rsync <options> source destination

So your syntax is going to look something like this.  I threw in some options you may want to consider such as stats, and others that are a must for a backup such as the -a and -l options.  The - a option is for archive.  It equals a group of other individual options.  The -l option is to copy symlinks.
	rsync -al  --ignore-errors --stats --delete --exclude="data" / root at foo:/

There are a lot of options for rsync.  Take a look at the man page for rsync.  .  You need to test to see which ones you want.

If you are going to run multiple rsync commands from cron, then just write a simple script that executes the rsync commands.  You need to do this is if the rsync commands are to be executed sequentially.  Running multiple rsync commands simultaneously can be a resource hog.  If you want to things simultaneously, I suggest that you test by running manually before trying it from cron.

I suggest that you test your syntax manually before trying to run it from cron.

Cathy

--
Cathy L. Smith
IT Engineer