[PLUG] stopping facebook

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Nov 15 20:59:15 UTC 2018

After an irksome hour of frobbing, I finally managed to
delete a 12 year old facebook account.  Password long
lost, so I had to jump through MANY hoops.

If your setup is like mine, copy  /etc/postfix/main.cf
to a backup file FIRST.

Facebook's email address for me is my personal server,
which has many spam barriers (though not enough).

Facebook sends its emails from a zillion different
servers with different URLs - that trips up greylisting,
so I deleted that stanza in /etc/postfix/main.cf .

I temporarily removed ALL the spam filter stanzas.  This
works like connecting the sewer line through a fan into
your home ventilation system.

My email address ( keithl AT keithl DOT com ) has been
out there for more than two decades; I am on every spam
list in the solar system.  I still have a copy of the
very first internet email spam ever sent, from some
immigration lawyers in Albuquerque IIRC.

Ick.  Much to clean up after my brief spam exposure ...

Anyhow, I requested a password-change confirmation code
from facebook, and finally found the email from facebook
with the code, in a spam folder.  I used it to log in
to facebook (for the first time in a decade), smell the
malodorous accumulation, and follow the instructions here:

https://www.facebook.com/help/224562897555674/

... and FINALLY delete the account.  A decision they
allow me to change until a month from now.  Mid December
would be a good time for a "facebook free" party.

Of course, I immediately restored /etc/postfix/main.cf

I did NOT download a backup of the account, which they
allegedly permit you to do.  I want NOTHING from facebook
(and Russian crackers, perhaps) stored on my computers.

There may be many "please come back messages" from
facebook in my spam folder for the next decade or two,
but I hope greylisting and DKIM will stop them first.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com