[PLUG] GUI Rename Oddity

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Thu Nov 15 22:48:19 UTC 2018

On 11/15/18 2:03 PM, Ben Koenig wrote:
> I feel like I've seen something like that before.
>
> That said GUI bugs are notoriously difficult to identify via email. The G
> stands for Graphical, so the only way to see and understand it is to look
> at the problem with your own eyes.
> I would not be surprised if your GUI is doing something funky, but you
> gotta isolate it:
>
> 1) consistently reproduce the problem on MATE (so break it on purpose)
> 2) reproduce it on a different desktop (or not, maybe its MATE specific)
> 3) Isolate any configuration options or third party utilities that may be
> the cause.
>
> If you show off this problem at a PLUG clinic it might become more obvious
> to other people what is actually happening.
>
> One of my favorite things about Slackware is that it ships with both XFCE
> and KDE. Whenever I encounter GUI bugs I hop over into the other desktop to
> see if the problem persists.

There are a few more things I can test when I get some time. I haven't
tried duplicating the problem in different directories on this same
desktop. I haven't tried switching desktops on this machine.

I did try duplicating the problem on my previous machine (I alternate
between two as new OS versions come out) which still has Ubuntu MATE
16.04. The problem does not appear on 16.04.

I have another machine, also with 16.04, but I haven't tried it there.

And I haven't tried it on my laptop, which currently has Linux Mint 19
MATE.

I'll give those a try when I get some time.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens