[PLUG] Setting up Slackware

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Nov 17 20:25:45 UTC 2018

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018, Dick Steffens wrote:

> A pointer to a step-by-step set of instructions would be helpful.

Dick,

   From the slackware wiki
<https://slackwiki.com/Install_Slackware_Using_A_USB_Flash_Drive>
the process is to first boot from a Slackware DVD or other source, then put
the .iso on a flash drive. But, you've already have the flash drive with the
.iso so this is the applicable sction:

Install with Unetbootin

It is possible to install with unetbootin. Download the Slackware iso image
of your choice and then install to a USB drive using unetbootin. Tutorials
for unetbootin are everywhere. Then, when you get to the SOURCE option in
setup use the drive you are installing slackware from (usually it is
/dev/sdb1). When it asks where the packages are, enter /slackware for 32 bit
or /slackware64 for 64 bit. This was tested using the Slackware 14.0 64-bit
x86_64 iso.

   Should work for 14.2, too.

   Looking at the unetbootin home page <
   Should work for 14.2, too.

   Looking at the unetbootin home page <https://unetbootin.github.io/> I
learned that it will work with an already downloaded .iso on a flash drive.

   I've used only optical disks to install the distribution so I cannot be
more helpful than these two URLs.

Regards,