[PLUG] Setting up Slackware

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 21:01:31 UTC 2018

On 11/17/18 11:58 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> At: https://docs.slackware.com/slackware:liveslak it says there is a
> script, setup2hd, that can be run to use the live USB stick to install
> Slackware to the hard drive. When I try to run setup2hd it says it can't
> be found. My searches for something that tells me where it is turn up
> comments that one should just use the regular ISO. Also, somewhere else
> is a comment that I'm responsible for partitioning the hard drive.
>
> A pointer to a step-by-step set of instructions would be helpful.

Dick,

You have to first boot the Slackware Live USB/ISO to be able to use
'setup2hd'.  Be sure you use a live variant that includes 'setup2hd':
the small XFCE liveslak does not include 'setup2hd'.  Also, you need to
login to liveslak as 'root' or use su or sudo if logged in as 'live'.

The Slackware documentation site is a bit terse, as is the habit with us
Slackers.  A wee more detail on how to use liveslak and 'setup2hd' is on
the liveslack author's blog (There's a screenshot!).

http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/slackware-live-edition/

Essentially,

1.  Boot live edition - usb stick or whatever.
2.  prepare your hard drive via gparted (GUI), parted, fdidk or cfdisk
(CLI). Slackware WILL NOT partition for you. If you recall, neither did
MSDOS, WIN95/98/7/XP. Setting up your own partitions is a personal
choice too important to leave to some random distro dev.

Information on partitioning is here:

https://docs.slackware.com/slackware:install

At a minimum you need to set up a root partition and a swap partition.
For legacy BIOS need to create partitions:

/dev/sda1  LINUX
/dev/sda2  LINUX SWAP

For UEFI BIOS need to create partitions:

/dev/sda1  EFI SYSTEM
/dev/sda2  LINUX
/dev/sda3  LINUX SWAP

3. In the CLI console, now run setup2hd and follow the prompts.

-Ed