[PLUG] Linux and renewable energy

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 21:04:38 UTC 2018

Thank you Russel, Erik and Rich for the responses and info. I was
intentionally broad in my question. I try to provide a bit more insight and
maybe some more focus and clarity.

So what I'm thinking about is primarily is the usage of renewable energy
sources and energy efficiency in residential and commercial buildings. I'm
a big believer in distributed solar, heat pumps/exchangers, and public
utility districts.

What triggered this line of inquiry was recently learning about a teenage
girl who won a national science fair by coming up with a more inexpensive
system of doing this with a timer and motors to re-align the solar panels
to the sun as it moves.

Before understanding how her system worked, I just starred thinking about
data, sensors, servos and mechanical/electrical interfaces and energy usage
and environmental applications. Admittedly, much of this doesn't require an
embedded OS of any sort, I guess I just like the idea of using Linux to
solve some of these energy/environmental issues that are bearing down on
all of us.

So I was curious to know if anyone knew about or was doing any interesting
projects along these lines.

Cheers,

Mike