[PLUG] HOWTO: Spelling Russell's name.

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat Nov 17 21:37:47 UTC 2018

By way of preface, I am not directing this at anyone in particular,
but I just want to say that I have noticed a pervasive practice of
shortening my name by a letter, and I find this (perhaps irrationally)
irritating, and I don't really understand the practice. I recall that
Randal Schwartz has also become irritated when people add an extra L
on the end of his name (his has one L). I have been trying to let go
and let it slide, but the misspellings are not an isolated occurrence,
and so I feel like I have to say something or people will think it is
acceptable.

Here, I spell it out in practically every message I send, so the
correct spelling is not difficult to find. It is maybe less irritating
than it is a curious and surprisingly general phenomenon, and I wonder
if our resident linguist (or any others) might have some insight to
share. And maybe plug-talk might be a better place to explore that. Or
maybe I can consult a therapist and work out my issues that way.

Exact Steps:
 a) One R, often capitalized;
 b) One u (you can let go of the Shift key here, unless you are upset
about something);
 c) Two s's, your finger is right there, just give it another press;
 d) One e;
 e) Two l's.

There. Done.

EOT