[PLUG] HOWTO: Spelling Russell's name.

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 02:27:48 UTC 2018

On 11/17/18 1:37 PM, Russell Senior wrote:
> By way of preface, I am not directing this at anyone in particular,
> but I just want to say that I have noticed a pervasive practice of
> shortening my name by a letter, and I find this (perhaps irrationally)
> irritating, and I don't really understand the practice. I recall that
> Randal Schwartz has also become irritated when people add an extra L
> on the end of his name (his has one L). I have been trying to let go
> and let it slide, but the misspellings are not an isolated occurrence,
> and so I feel like I have to say something or people will think it is
> acceptable.
>
> Here, I spell it out in practically every message I send, so the
> correct spelling is not difficult to find. It is maybe less irritating
> than it is a curious and surprisingly general phenomenon, and I wonder
> if our resident linguist (or any others) might have some insight to
> share. And maybe plug-talk might be a better place to explore that. Or
> maybe I can consult a therapist and work out my issues that way.
>
> Exact Steps:
>  a) One R, often capitalized;
>  b) One u (you can let go of the Shift key here, unless you are upset
> about something);
>  c) Two s's, your finger is right there, just give it another press;
>  d) One e;
>  e) Two l's.
>
> There. Done.
>
> EOT

Yo! Russ, Russ-man, Rusellator, Russmeister!

I feel your pain but it could be worse.  When I was in high school
Saturday Night Live hit the scene. As I rarely stayed up late to watch
TV (I was a bit of an egghead early to bed/rise type), it took me weeks
to realize the Koenig -> Conehead jokes at my expense.  I would have
much preferred a dropped or added letter.

Of course we have the obligatory wikipedia entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_(given_name)

"Russell is a male given name, that originated from the surname Russell,
which in turn derives from the Anglo-Norman russel (Old French rossel)
"red-haired or red-skinned", from Anglo-Norman rus (Old French ros) "red
hair color" or "reddish skin" and suffix -el[1] Russell may be shortened
to Russ or Rusty; the latter is also a nickname for someone with red hair."

-Ed