[PLUG] slackpkg upgrade-all error

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Nov 23 20:50:51 UTC 2018

On Fri, 23 Nov 2018, Dick Steffens wrote:

> Ran slackpkg upgrade-all again
>     Finished with warning:
>         One of more errors occurred while slackpkg was running:
>         /usr/libexec/slackpkg/core-functions.sh: line 18: /bincat: No such
> file or directory

> Is bincat something important?

Dick,

   I've not had that error message show up here in the 15 years I've run
slackware, so ignore it. There's no bincat on my systems so I'd not worry
about it. Here, it's not in core-functions.sh.

   I don't recall how to sign up for security patch notices, but running
slackpkg update once a week will compare what's installed with what's in the
change logs on the repository you use (I assume it's
ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/.2/slackware/slackware64-14.2/), if there's nothing new
the script will tell you this. If there are upgraded packages follow that by
slackpkg upgrade-all.

   The non-security patches aren't announced via e-mail, but security
upgrades are. So checking once a week is good enough to keep things patched.

Regards,