[PLUG] Slackware -- programs missing

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sun Nov 25 04:19:48 UTC 2018

On 11/24/18 8:13 PM, Ben Koenig wrote:
> That looks like it should, so I don't see any obvious reason why the
> chroot isn't working.
>
> My suggestion at this point is to reinstall. I can get really OCD
> about trying to find out what exactly went wrong but the ultimate
> conclusion will be the same. The install is broken and it would be
> better to reinstalll.
>
> I recall you mentioning something about using the Live Edition to do
> the install. Not to bash the guy who made it but the Live Edition is
> an unoffical project from one of the Slackware devs. There are some
> small changes to the install scripts and in your case something did
> not happen in the order it was supposed to. Those scripts are there as
> a convenience to more advanced users and not intended for your first
> ever Slackware install.
>
> So what I would do here is download the OFFICIAL Slackware64-14.2
> installer and use that. There is no graphical interface, but at this
> point you seem capable with basic commandline usage so it's not a big
> deal.
> Here is the link to the downloads page: http://www.slackware.com/getslack/
>
> I highly recommend using the following link for an install DVD, it can
> be easily transferred to a USB stick if needed
> https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-iso/slackware64-14.2-iso/slackware64-14.2-install-dvd.iso
>

> If you want to go nuts trying to find out exactly what isn't lining up
> I'm totally down for that since it would be a fascinating project. But
> the end result will still be the same.
> You have to reinstall. And use the official installer, the Live
> Edition is for demonstration purposes it's not something we should be
> recommending to new users...

I was leaning that way yesterday, but was hopeful for something "simple"
to turn up. Thanks for all the work, and for the links above. I will
have to use a USB stick, since this laptop doesn't have a DVD drive. And
while I usually use a GUI, I am comfortable following instructions using
a command line.

Again, thanks for all support. I'll take this up again tomorrow afternoon.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens