[PLUG] Slackware Install, 2nd try

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Wed Nov 28 01:48:45 UTC 2018

On 11/27/18 12:21 AM, King Beowulf wrote:
> On 11/26/18 9:53 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> On 11/26/18 6:58 PM, King Beowulf wrote:
>>> <...>

>>> in KDE, as a regular user (not root), open konsole and run firefox to
>>> see what errors it spits out.
>> bash-4.3$ firefox
>> xPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib64/firefox/libxul.so:
>> /usr/lib64/../lib64/libz.so.1: version 'ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required
>> by /usr/lib64/firefox/libxul.so)
>> Couldn't load XPCOM.
>> bash-4.3$
>>
> Odd.  if you are up to date you should see from package
> zlib-1.2.11-x86_64-1_slack14.2
>
> ls -l /usr/lib64 |grep libz.so
> ... libz.so -> libz.so.1.2.11
> ... libz.so.1 -> libz.so.1.2.11
> ... libz.so.1.2.11 -> ../../lib64/libz.so.1.2.11
>
> (actual libz lives in /lib64)

(I realized I don't need the bad install USB anymore, so I reformatted
it and can now copy stuff from one machine to the other.)

bash-4.3$ ls -l /usr/lib64 | grep libz.so
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       13 Nov 24 18:23 libz.so -> libz.so.1.2.8
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       13 Nov 24 18:23 libz.so.1 -> libz.so.1.2.8
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       25 Nov 24 18:23 libz.so.1.2.8 ->
../../lib64/libz.so.1.2.8
bash-4.3$

> and the latest version installed is:
> mozilla-firefox-60.3.0esr-x86_64-1_slack14.2

That's what slackpkg search firefox shows.

I still get the same error message this afternoon as last night, after a
power down and restart.

> <...>
>> This is what I did in the install, and what I just repeated:
>>
>>      HOSTNAME: Thinkpad-X200
>>      Domain name: org
>>      Chose DHCP
> not sure if the domain name throws off DHCP. "org" is usually a TLD (top
> level domain), so you word use something like 'blah-blah.org' then DHCP
> creates your fully qualified hostname as Thinkpad-X200.blah-blah.org and
> short name of Thinkpad-X200

I remember when doing the install that it said example.org would be
fine, so that's why I went with org.

> --snip---
>>> When you are ready for wifi and networkmanager, Ben or I will help you
>>> with getting the dhcp glitches fixed.  you can either use Slackware's
>>> tools OR networkmanager to control networking, not both.
>> I'd like to get comfortable getting simple things to work reliably first
>> before worrying about getting wireless to work.
> Indeed recommended.
>
> since rc.networkmanager is not executable just check to make sure its
> not running already, either reboot or check will 'ps -A' or eh KDE
> process GUI (ksysguard).

ps -A | grep networkmanager returns empty

> <...>
>
> if lsof reported ntp sockets, it's running ok. That means
> you wont need to use ntpd to set the clock (it already is trying to).
> However, if nptd sees the clock off by more than 30 min, IIRC, it won't
> do diddly.

I discovered that I exited the clock setting part of BIOS without
saving. Duh. Once I did that, the clock worked. I shut the machine down
overnight, and just turned it on this afternoon. The clock is correct.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens