[PLUG] Rsync again

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Oct 6 21:50:42 UTC 2018

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 12:23:04 -0700
Erik Lane <eriklane at gmail.com> dijo:

>That would be nice to be able to stop it in that way. I'm not a Linux
>guru, so I'd also like to hear if there's some way to do that.
>
>However, I just wanted to say that I always use -P as one of the
>options, and this will resume partial downloads. So if you have to
>stop it and then resume later, it will just pick up where it left off.
>
>Not quite what you were asking for, but another way to solve the same
>problem. (At least as far as I understood your question.)

Well, the problem resolved itself, at least in this case. The reason I
wanted to stop it was because I was watching and it was backing up
files that I was pretty sure had already been backed up, and the only
reason it might be doing that was if the backup device was not mounted.
As it turns out my guess was right, 15 minutes later rsync stopped
all by itself when it ran out of space on the mount point drive.

And this is not the first time I have copied things to a drive that I
thought was mounted, but was not. It's a perennial problem, and it's
high time I figured out a way to keep it from happening.