[PLUG] How to restore external drive

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sun Oct 14 02:55:33 UTC 2018

I have a Mediasonic two-bay external enclosure with two hard disks in
Raid 0, for a total of 12TB. This is backed up regularly to a 16TB
Synology NAS, most recently last night, so if I lose everything on the
12TB Mediasonic I will lose just a few things that I did today - easily
replaced.

The Mediasonic has both USB 3.0 and eSATA ports. Some time ago the USB
port failed, so I bought an eSATA cable and switched to that port.
Lately I have been losing the connection at random times again, so I
contacted Mediasonic and for $20 bought a replacement card that has the
two ports on it, which arrived a couple weeks ago. I intended to install
it at the Clinic a week from tomorrow, but today I lost the connection
permanently, so I got out my tools and installed the new card.

When I powered it up it was in single-drive mode, not Raid 0, so I had
to change the setting. This required powering it down, and when it
started back up it appeared to be fine - both drive lights are on. But
I can't mount it. Dmesg says it is /dev/sdc, but all I get are errors
at the mount command:

	sudo mount /dev/sdc /media/jjj/Movies
	mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,

I tried adding '-t ext4', but no joy. Now, I dimly recall that this
device used to be /dev/sdc1, but now the '1' is missing. Using the
Disks GUI utility in Ubuntu it sees the device and calls it '12TB
Unknown.' It offers to format it or create a partition image for me,
but I haven't yet taken the plunge.

Before I reformat and go through the travail of restoring from the
Synology NAS, does anyone have any suggestions?