[PLUG] MIDI on Ubuntu 18.04

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sun Oct 14 04:36:36 UTC 2018

On 10/13/2018 08:14 PM, Ali Corbin wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 3:38 PM Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried timidity:
>>
>> $ timidity 1.midi Requested buffer size 32768, fragment size 8192 ALSA
>> pcm 'default' set buffer size 32768, period size 8192 bytes Playing
>> 1.midi MIDI file: 1.midi Format: 1 Tracks: 3 Divisions: 384 Sequence:
>> control track Text: creator: Text: GNU LilyPond 2.18.2 Track name:
>> :soprano Instrument: choir aahs Track name: :tenor Instrument: choir
>> aahs No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 52 - this instrument
>> will not be heard No pre-resampling cache hit Last 3 MIDI events are
>> ignored Playing time: ~31 seconds Notes cut: 0 Notes lost totally: 0
>>
>> This leads me to believe that there's more to configure somewhere in
>> order to get the "Instrument: choir aahs" but I don't know where to do
>> that.
>
> You usually have to install instrument patches (AKA sound-fonts) to go with
> timidity.  On my system, I have a choice in the repo, either freepats,
> or fluid-soundfont.

I found an answer at:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/458616/soundfont-with-timidity

It had me edit /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg and comment out freepats.cfg
and uncomment fluidr3_gs.cfg. That works for timidity.

Now I need to find out how to get the same kind of thing in Frescobaldi
and Audacity.

Thanks!

--
Regards,