[PLUG] How to restore external drive

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Oct 14 16:04:10 UTC 2018

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> It is not referenced in fstab. Here is fstab:

John,

   That's totally different from any I've seen so I have nothing useful to
add.

> Altering your command because Ubuntu decided some time back to rename
> /var/log/messages to /var/log/syslog, I get nothing referring to the
> device.

   Did you follow /var/log/syslog for changes as you connected (or turned on)
your problem device? If you look at the static log you might not see what
how the kernel reacts when a new device is seen.

   On my systems when I attached a USB external flash/hard drive I often see
the log respond (not in these exact words),

   /dev/sdc seen
   /dev/sdc1 attached as Logitech model xxx.

This tells me that the kernel first sees the device, then the specific
partition.

   Others with much more knowledge than I have will probably help you more.

Regards,