[PLUG] How to restore external drive

Tomas K tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 05:39:54 UTC 2018

A few comments...

> However, I have long been impatient with the speed of the Mediasonic;
> moving or renaming a file can take over a minute while the drives
> whir and the lights dance.

Renaming or moving files on the same drive should take fraction of a
second regardless of the file size or the speed of connection to it. If
this what you really experience, you should consider using mv on a
command line.

> During the restore from backup the GUI (Nautilus) gave me a popup
> with continuous information on the progress, and it reported a steady
> 115-116 Mbps transfer rate, so that is apparently the max that my
> home ethernet can do.

That 100-120MBs is about maximum you can observe over 1Gbs ethernet to
a NAS for sequential, large file transfers. Recent Synology NAS`s are
capable of that without problem even for RAID5 arrays.

Please note - sequential, large file transfers - is the keyword.
Once we talk about random or small file access - you are into 40MBs-ish
territory even for fast SSDs - no what the speed of connection.

See some benchmarks such as:
SSDs: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12485/the-plextor-m8v-sata-ssd-rev
iew/5
NVMEs: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13254/the-toshiba-xg6-1tb-ssd-rev
iew-first-96l-3d-nand/5

> Thinkpad P72 (not yet available in the US) or a P71 that I can buy
> right now. Both come with Intel Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports that are
> capable of 40Gbps, compared to the 5Gbps of my USB 3.0 connection or
> 3GBps of eSATA.

So, connecting to HDD or SSD from single user, single computer at 5Gbs,
10Gbs or even 40Gbs is rather irrelevant. Especially when you consider
a laptop which is very limited in what it is capable of compared to a
desktop - especially in high bandwidth usage applications.

Anyway - large files are mainly media - Encoding a film with x264
proceeds at glacial 5Mbs-ish speed these days. So even if you could
encode 5 streams at the same time, you would probably be fine with 1Gbs
ethernet to a NAS.

Backups are incremental, and do not slow you down, especially if your
NAS writes to your DAS directly or between two NAS`s. I assume that you
are not watching the backups to make them go faster. :-)

--- If we would be talking (= not dreaming) about low cost 4-6
drive Synology NAS with 2.5/5/10Gbs ethernet + $150-ish 8 port
2.5/5/10Gbs switch to go with it - that would be different cup-a-tea.
---

Storage is slow, and who likes politics or taxes.

Hope it helps, Tomas