[PLUG] Odd Laptop Behavior

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Oct 23 16:36:31 UTC 2018

 From time to time my laptop has booted up with an error message
claiming that I'm running in lo graphic mode. It lets me proceed and
offers to start up in default mode, which looks like normal. But some
things don't seem to work right. It used to be that a hard boot fixed
the problem, but not this morning. The thing that didn't work right was
Wi-Fi. No Wi-Fi service was available, in spite of a neighborhood of
Wi-Fi devices visible on my wife's laptop. I tried pulling the battery
and waiting 30 seconds or more before putting it back, but got the same
results. Then I tried booting from a thumb drive, and it worked
normally. The installed OS is Ubuntu 16.04. The OS in the thumb drive is
Ubuntu 18.04. After shutting down, pulling the thumb drive, and booting
up again, 16.04 came up telling me I could upgrade to 18. That's not a
message I've seen before. I declined and let the machine boot normally,
and Wi-Fi was working again.

A message came up that I needed to run some updates, after which a
reboot was required. During that reboot I got the lo graphics mode
message again. And again, I don't have Wi-Fi. Hovering over the network
icon no the top bar shows,

"Wi-Fi Networks
   device not ready"

I restarted with the thumb drive again, and  again I was able to connect
to the house Wi-Fi. And again, 16.04 booted up with Wi-Fi working.

Any thoughts on what's going on?

This is a Lenovo X200 Tablet, if that makes any difference.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens