[PLUG] Searching for work in Portland remotely...

michael at robinson-west.com michael at robinson-west.com
Mon Oct 29 12:45:40 UTC 2018

I am a Portland State University graduate in computer science trapped in Rochester, Minnesota without work.

I've been in this situation for six months now and am facing the end of unemployment benefits.

Searching for work in Portland remotely, hard. Ironically, I live next to one of the biggest IBM facilities in the world and it is a ghost town.

I know C and C++, I worked with Raspberry Pi's running Raspbian, I am wanting to increase my certifiable skills in Linux, and I have exposure to more
things than I am good at including Ansible, git, Python, Perl, bash, etcetera. Studying for a test on Javascript, CSS3, and HTML5 Saturday.

Unfortunately, I was let go of from my job at Apex in under a year, worked there for seven months. It was an impossible situation for me, code that was engineered to not make sense to anyone else. That said, I got a framebuffer system converted to an X Windows system and it displayed somewhat well. Because of concurrency problems and hidden algorithms, I never got the system working the way it should be. I'd love to work somewhere else in precision manufacturing utilizing embedded Linux.

Meanwhile, I have been trying to convert a rack running a web site in Scappoose to a hosted site at Eskimo North. Some success, but I don't understand systemd well enough to make a stock CentOS 7 run a custom compiled Apache and PHP. I really need professional training in CentOS/Redhat Enterprise Linux to complement my Linux Professional Institute Level 1 certification. I've grown up on Redhat, but I don't understand it anymore.

 -- Michael C. Robinson