[PLUG] Installing VirtualBox on Linux Mint 19

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Mon Oct 29 15:44:36 UTC 2018

On 10/29/18 8:19 AM, Roderick Anderson wrote:
> Dick,
>
> I haven't followed this thread so I may be completely off base.
>
> Depending on what you're trying to accomplish you might look at KVM or
> Wine.
>
> Several HAMs and Linux users succeeded getting a Window only HAM radio
> logging program running on Linux.  I had tried several times before
> but ran into too many problems.  A little over a month ago using Linux
> Mint 19 we got the program running under Wine on both 64bit and 32bit
> processors.
>
> The trick was installing Wind, Winetricks and wine32 on the 64bit
> Linux Mint system.  The Jet drivers were only 32bit.  It could also be
> that Wine had matured since my previous attempts a year or so ago.
>
> I mention KVM because our Windows guru (well he makes his money
> working on Windows machines) used KVM to install Linux Mint 19 32bit
> on his Debian 64bit laptop.  I think he said you can do the same with
> Windows.

Thanks for your ideas.

My main reason to stay with VirtualBox is that I have a small handful of
older Windows programs that I infrequently use. Some have no open source
alternative. Others are ones that I learned years ago, and the learning
curve was steep. Open source alternatives would also require a steep
learning curve, and since I don't need them often, it's just easier to
use the old familiar ones. I have these in a VirtualBox .ova file. So
once I have VirtualBox installed, it's pretty easy to import the .ova.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens