[PLUG] IBM acquires Redhat

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Mon Oct 29 18:32:08 UTC 2018

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 10:49:48 -0700
Richard England <rlengland at frontier.com> dijo:

>IBM will probably continue their Linux efforts. The better question is
>what will they do with Fedora and the desktop. IBM may have little
>interest in the desktop and their interest in non-revenue initiatives
>like Fedora and CentOS are questionable, as well.

My take is that Redhat started Fedora as a test bed. I used it for a
couple of years before giving up on it. Yes, it's free, and in some ways
a competitor to the bigger desktop providers like Mint and Ubuntu, but
I couldn't put up with the constant, almost mandatory updates.
Nevertheless,  while I bitched about having to update, I had to
recognize that I knew the purpose of Fedora before I started using it -
I got a free desktop in exchange for being Redhat's guinea pig. So, as
long as Redhat needs a place to test new ideas, Fedora will probably
continue.