[PLUG] kdesu question

logical american website.reader3 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 05:01:50 UTC 2018

 > I must admit that I have tried kdesu yast2 for the first time.
 > It seems to work without problems on a few openSuse 15 boxes I have.

When I first upgraded from Leap 42.3 to Leap 15.0, kdesu ran just fine.
But after adding some software archives, then updating those, the
problem appeared.

I built several of the desktops, then rebuild plasma (for kde) and kdesu
worked okay again. But then I did a "zypper dup" command, and after that
kdesu failed again.
> How do you start that kdesu yast2 command? If you try that from command
> prompt, do you get any error messages?
 From the command line: %kdesu yast2
I get the pop-up box, enter the password and everything hangs.
In the command line terminal, the word: kdesu_stub appears on the next
line down, and hangs
> What is the difference between typing kdesu yast2 and su yast2? Two
> characters less using su the way I see it.
Yes, but I was simply using the prebuilt yast2 icon which should work
automatically.
I can type in the command line
%su
%yast2
on 2 separate lines, and everything is fine.

I guess I could hack the yast2 icon on the task bar and fix this
manually, until the next upgrade, then start all over again.

Thank you for your questions