[PLUG] Password keeper

Loren M. Lang lorenl at north-winds.org
Thu Sep 6 07:40:46 UTC 2018

I've recently been informed that an old website I once created an
account on has been compromised, and, oh, they also stored all user
passwords in plain text and were likely all stolen. Luckily, I've long
replaced that password with several others on any services I currently
use. Since I ultimately can't vet most web services I use and check the
quality of their password hashing and salt algorithms, I'm thinking it's
time to start generating a unique password for pretty much every service
I use. What kind of password managers do you use for handling all this?

In the past, I used to maintain them all in a GnuPG encrypted file and
edit it through a Vim plugin, but that doesn't synchronize well.
Ideally, I'd like something that will store passwords on-disk in an
encrypted form and have some way to synchronize the database across
devices. I tend to use Linux, macOS, and Android. I also use a mixture
of both Firefox and Chrome so it would be nice to have some kind of
integration. Oh, and no security application would be complete without
being open source!

--
Loren M. Lang
lorenl at north-winds.org
http://www.north-winds.org/
AG7NC

Public Key: ftp://ftp.north-winds.org/pub/lorenl_pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: 10A0 7AE2 DAF5 4780 888A  3FA4 DCEE BB39 7654 DE5B