[PLUG] Password keeper

Tyrell Jentink tyrell at jentink.net
Thu Sep 6 14:06:57 UTC 2018

In the past, I have used KeePass; I liked that it was open source, and I
liked that it was offline and had no cloud components.

However, I also disliked that it was offline and had no cloud components...
If you only use one device, it's not so bad; But if you have a laptop, a
desktop, and a phone, then keeping those three databases up to date can be
a chore.

So now I use LastPass. I like that it's online and always cloud synced. (I
know... I'm being really wishy-washy about my needs and desires here)
But... It isn't open source, and I am putting all my eggs in one basket,
and it's a basket I have to trust blindly...  But damn, if it isn't
convenient...

I tend to recommend KeePass to people anyway, despite it not working for my
needs... Keeping the database synced isn't an impossible task or anything,
and it's obviously easier if you only want to use it in one place.

KeePass itself is Windows-only, but works just fine under Mono. Being open
source, there are other implementations... But I never had a problem with
their official software on Ubuntu or Fedora... But it's been a while now.