[PLUG] Password keeper

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Thu Sep 6 15:26:59 UTC 2018

On 09/06/2018 07:06 AM, Tyrell Jentink wrote:
> In the past, I have used KeePass; I liked that it was open source, and I
> liked that it was offline and had no cloud components.
>
> However, I also disliked that it was offline and had no cloud components...
> If you only use one device, it's not so bad; But if you have a laptop, a
> desktop, and a phone, then keeping those three databases up to date can be
> a chore.
>
> So now I use LastPass. I like that it's online and always cloud synced. (I
> know... I'm being really wishy-washy about my needs and desires here)
> But... It isn't open source, and I am putting all my eggs in one basket,
> and it's a basket I have to trust blindly...  But damn, if it isn't
> convenient...
>
> I tend to recommend KeePass to people anyway, despite it not working for my
> needs... Keeping the database synced isn't an impossible task or anything,
> and it's obviously easier if you only want to use it in one place.
>
> KeePass itself is Windows-only, but works just fine under Mono. Being open
> source, there are other implementations... But I never had a problem with
> their official software on Ubuntu or Fedora... But it's been a while now.

I'm currently using keepassx2 from epel under CentOS 7.  I'm generally
happy with it, but I'm not attempting to keep the database synced
between multiple devices.

Now I see that there is also a keepassxc project.  It looks like that
might be a better choice.  It would be interesting to hear from someone
that is using it.

galen
--
Galen Seitz