[PLUG] Hardware recommendations

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Mon Sep 10 00:42:41 UTC 2018

On 09/09/2018 05:01 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Sep 2018, Bill Barry wrote:
>
>> Will it but from a live CD?
>
> Bill,
>
>    It will boot from the Slackware distribution DVD, and from the installed
> files only if I enter the BIOS setup during boot and explicitly point to
> the
> bootable drive. That drive is set to be the one to use in two places in the
> BIOS: main page and advanced setup, but ... it still needs manual
> manipulation each time. That's not right.

I obviously don't know the details of your setup, but when I did a
CentOS upgrade (6 to 7) at the beginning of the year, I was reminded
that dropping a UEFI-based disk into a new machine requires telling the
UEFI firmware(aka the BIOS) where to find the boot image.  This may not
be your problem, but you should confirm that your UEFI firmware has the
correct boot path.

galen
--
Galen Seitz