[PLUG] Replace the CPU

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 13 17:16:03 UTC 2018

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I'm sure that memory speed is part of what's constraining me, and that
> is one reason that I am considering a new laptop. My current laptop has
> DDR3 at 1600 and that's all it will take. I'm considering upgrading it
> from the original 16GB to 32GB, but it will still be the same speed. A
> new laptop, however, will take DDR4 at 2400, so that is one reason for
> considering a new laptop.

John,

   You have a newly assembled desktop which I assume has plenty of DDR4 RAM.
Consider using that as was suggested earlier in this thread. Desktops tend
to be faster than laptops because the latter are not meant for heavy duty
work. Desktops can also be easily upgraded, both CPU and memory; and you
have the USB3.1+ ports you want. Udderwise, why'd you upgrade the desktop?
:-)

Regards,