[PLUG] What Comes After Unix?

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 19:50:03 UTC 2018

I would google up Andrew Tanenbaum versus monolithic kernel and look back
at the history of this debate. It goes back to 90s - birth of Linux.

I am not going to judge it theoretically on a principle. Just observing the
real world as it currently is - microkernel security currently comes
primarily from the fact that it cannot do much and it is not used outside
SW research and niche such as "secure" IME (remember that last year).

The beauty of open source, in my opinion, is diversity and agiliy. So,
there is place for micro kernel OS.

I am not quite sure that minix is the future direction thought. It has not
been for the last 30+ years.