[PLUG] WHAT is the question? Re: To wiki ...

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 19:07:53 UTC 2018

On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 3:55 AM Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:

> There are multiple carriers of information on the internet.
> Mailing lists and USENET groups stress timeliness.
> Wikis by nature can be more in-depth but can suffer from edits from
> edits by anyone independent of qualifications.
>
> I repeat my question. Is there an alternative to wikis.
> The question is explicitly community and/or topic agnostic.

I believe what you are looking for is basically a source of information on
a topic provided by knowledgeable folks in a controlled environment. By
definition, a wiki is a collaborative site intended to receive input from
pretty much anybody. Depending on the software used, a wiki can be limited
in editing by specific members of the team, yet viewable by the public.
There are also FAQs, where questions can be posed and answers provided by
appropriate SMEs. These questions are typically submitted through some type
of customer support structure. Then there are forums (like this one), both
moderated and non-moderated. Questions are submitted by the membership and
answered by the membership. Viewing can be public or restricted to
membership. Membership may be open or require approval. These forums may be
hosted on private platforms (as this one is) or in a web environment such
as groups.io or Yahoo Groups. Once very popular, but not seen so much
lately (by me, anyway) are blogs run by individuals or entities wanting to
provide dissertation on specific topics. The site owner may author all the
articles or collect them from other sources, intending to be a repository
of data on a general subject, such as a hobby or process.

So far, your request has been quite vague, hence the ranging responses.
Perhaps if you were more specific on exactly what you would like to do, you
might receive a better response.

Michael