[PLUG] question on multiple use site

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Sep 17 15:04:37 UTC 2018

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018, logical american wrote:

> Is there anyone who has a server which offers the following capabilities?
>
> 1. private mail server
> 2. chatgroup host (and backup of conversations)
> 3. remote file repository
>
> The system I desire is to be designed for non-linux people.
>
> I wish to talk with such a person and learn what tweaks in the operating
> environment have to be done to support such a server. I know that a domain
> name has to be acquired along with an SSL certificate, but what other
> incidentals are needed? (such as big back-up drives)

I only have questions at this point...

Will this server sit on the public Internet and serve requests from
anywhere, or will it be on a private LAN with no Internet access?

By "private" mail server, what exactly do you mean? Will it accept
inbound messages from the Internet? If so, what does "private" connote
for you?

What sort of chat tools do you expect to be available? Will you need
one-to-one chats? Group chats? Both?

What sort of tools are your "non-linux people" capable of using? Just
a web browser? A tool like Filezilla? Within the repository, how fine
grained do you need access-control mechanisms to be? That is, if I
upload a file, will I need to be able to define exactly who else can
read and/or write it?

How resilient does this system need to be in the face of, say, a bad
hard drive? How much data will be stored in the repository? How many
users will access the system?

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com